XML.com have just published an article I wrote for them last month entitled REST On Rails.
November 11th, 2004 | Published in xml
A new experience today: I’ve done my first bit of paid writing. It’s about del.icio.us again, and it’s on xml.com.
It’s an expanded version of two previous posts previously made to hackdiary. It goes into a little more detail about how the code works, and gives more examples. There’s also more analysis, and more of an introduction for the uninitiated.
April 1st, 2004 | Published in xml
I’m off to XML Europe in a couple of weeks (better get in quick if you’re thinking of going, registration closes April 9th). I’ve been looking at the schedule, which has lots of semantic web goodness in it, and thinking about what talks I’m going to go to. Here’s my list so far
In preparation for a TiVoBot that I’m planning to write as a wrapper for scheduling digital WinTV recordings, I’ve been looking at TV listings data produced by tools from the XMLTV project. I started out using the XML directly and storing it using Berkeley DB XML but soon found (like most of my projects) that I’d be happier if the data was expressed as an RDF model.
OpenOffice’s vector-drawing app has a very nice Visio-like ‘connector’ tool that can link objects together with lines. It’s very easy to put together labelled directed graph diagrams and have the lines re-flow as you move the nodes around. It also has a well-documented XML file format, which got me thinking that graph drawings could be converted into RDF automatically. I wrote some python code to read in OO files and print out n-triples.
Often I find I need to pull out a bit of information from a webpage to reuse inside some code. I’ve always done this from the commandline using a combination of wget, HTML TIDY and xsltproc. Recently I’ve been doing the same thing in program code using some very handy tools written in Java.
Note: the example code below has been updated.
I’ve had a proposal for a paper on RDF and annotating photos accepted for XML Europe 2003. Yay! Here’s what I submitted: